South Florida Adjustment of Status Attorney

image of person holding a permanent residency greencard for the united states of america

Adjustment of status is the process of applying for lawful permanent residency or applying for a Green Card when you are present in South Florida, or anywhere in the U.S. Because the process is complicated and you must meet specific criteria, it helps to work with an experienced adjustment of status attorney.

At Shannon Rosales Law PA, we help immigrants working and living in Florida apply for Green Cards. If you wish to become a permanent resident, you can petition for an Adjustment of Status (AOS) without returning to your home country for visa processing. Lead attorney Shannon Rosales can determine whether you are eligible for AOS, explain your rights, and walk you through the process. Contact Shannon today to get started. Se Habla Español. 

Eligibility for Adjustment of Status in South Florida

You may be eligible for permanent residency under one of the following categories:


You may be eligible to apply for an adjustment of status if you are the immediate relative of a U.S. Citizen, such as:

  • A spouse
  • An unmarried child under the age of 21
  • A parent who is at least 21 years old
  • A fiancé(e) 

You may also be eligible for permanent residency if you are a family member of a U.S. Citizen, including:  

  • An unmarried son or daughter 21 years old or older
  • Married son or daughter 
  • Sibling at least 21 years old

Family members of a lawful permanent resident may also qualify for adjustment of status, including spouses and unmarried children. 


Immigrants holding employment-based vistas are also eligible for permanent residency under the following categories:

  • Employment First Preference (EB-1)
  • Employment Second Preference (EB-2)
  • Employment Third Preference (EB-3)
  • Physician National Interest Waiver
  • Immigrant investor in a commercial enterprise that will create jobs in the U.S.

Refugee or Asylum

You may be eligible to apply for adjustment of status if you were:

  • Granted asylum at least 1 year ago
  • Admitted as a refugee at least 1 year ago

Special Immigrant

Special immigrants can also apply for permanent residencies, such as:

  • Former or current employees of the U.S. Government abroad
  • Ministers, clergy, and other religious workers
  • Foreign medical graduates
  • Retired international organization employees

This is not a complete list of immigrants who may be able to apply for lawful permanent resident status. Immigration attorney Shannon Rosales can advise you on whether you may be eligible for permanent residency.

The Process to Make a Change in South Florida

Petitioning for adjustment of status can take several months to more than a year. The process requires:

  • A biometrics screening – a medical exam to evaluate you for contagious diseases, obtain bloodwork, measurements (e.g. height, weight, waist size), fingerprints, and photographs to identify you. 
  • DNA sampling, in cases where applicants from developing countries do not have birth certificates
  • A formal review, including a criminal background check and interview

If the person applying for a Green Card is the spouse of a U.S. citizen, that person will likely be interviewed and need to demonstrate proof of a valid marriage.

If you pass the screening, you may be issued an immigration visa number; however,  you may not receive a number right away. Visas are limited to certain family members of U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents, and employment cases. It could be years between your approval and the Department of State issuing you an immigration visa number. Finally, leaving the U.S. while your application is pending can negatively impact your application, and committing certain crimes can prevent you from obtaining a Green Card. 

The Benefits of Adjustment of Status

The main benefit of applying for permanent residency is that you can remain in the U.S. while your application is pending. You can also apply for employment authorization and appeal a denied application without having to leave the country. However, the process is complicated. 

The best way to protect your rights and obtain your Green Card is to work with an experienced Adjustment of Status attorney. 

That’s where Shannon Rosales Law can help. Shannon can help you complete the application, collect the required documents (e.g. passport, birth certificate, marriage certificate), be present at the biometrics screening, and advise you during the interview. You can depend on Shannon to provide compassionate representation, guide you through the process, and protect your rights.

Contact Our Experienced South Florida Adjustment of Status Attorney

If you are presently in the United States and need help applying for an adjustment of status, contact Shannon Rosales Law. Lead attorney Shannon Rosales is a skilled immigration lawyer, fluent in Spanish and English, and a dedicated advocate of Florida’s immigrant community. Contact Shannon Rosales today to get started.